There are few things that say “summer” quite like Stern Grove Festival – but cooking with beer comes pretty close! This Sunday, we’re partnering with our friends and contest judges at Anchor Brewing Company to bring the Grove Gourmet Picnic Contest to the SF Ballet’s performance this Sunday. Anchor Brewmasters will roam the Grove in search of the best picnic out there (extra points for incorporating Anchor brews, now available in cans!).
First place takes home a VIP brewery tour and tasting for 10 adults at Anchor Brewing Company. Second place wins an Anchor merchandise swag bag. Be sure to make plenty to share with our judges, who will be in the Grove to judge picnic spreads between 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. Look out for their white coveralls to know who to wave down, and let us know you’re entering into the contest by sharing an Instagram or tweeting a picture of your picnic and tagging #sterngrovefest and #RaiseYourAnchor.
As inspiration for the weekend’s picnic contest, Chef Ken Hernandez and Anchor Brewing have come up with the following recipes, showing us all how delicious (and easy) incorporating beer into recipes can be.
If you’re of age, you can find the following tasty brews and others with Anchor Brewing’s Beer Finder.
Coffee Rubbed Steak Marinated in Anchor California Lager with Chimichurri Sauce
Yield: 6 Servings
2 lbs. flank steak
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoons black pepper
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons coffee grounds
1 tablespoon chile de arbol
1 tablespoon turmeric, chopped
2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
¼ cup (2 oz.) Anchor California Lager
¼ cup parsley, chopped
⅓ cup parsley, chopped
½ cup cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons oregano, chopped
1 teaspoon jalapeno, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon shallots, chopped
¼ cup red wine vinegar
½ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons lime juice
Dash ground black pepper and salt
- Combine flank steak, olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for the rub.
- Massage the dry rub into the flank steak and refrigerate covered in plastic for up to 2 hours.
- On a grill or hot pan, sear both sides until caramelized. 4 minutes on first side, 3 on the other side (medium rare).
- Combine all chimichurri ingredients. Finish off with ground black pepper and kosher salt. Serve with steak.
Anchor Mango Peach Galette
Yield: 1 Galette, 8 Servings
1 large mango, peeled and sliced thin
1 cup peach, sliced thin
1 cup strawberry, sliced thin
2 cups (16 oz.) Anchor’s Mango Wheat
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract dash of salt
1 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
½ cup of almond flour
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup of butter, cubed
¼ cup (2 oz.) Anchor’s Mango Wheat (ice cold)
Mint and granulated sugar
- Mix mango and peach together in a large bowl. Add Anchor’s Mango Wheat, vanilla and sugar. Stir and set aside.
- Whisk together all-purpose flour, almond flour, and salt in a bowl. Add the butter, creaming it into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or for until the dough starts to form. (You can do this in a food processor by pulsing the mixture until blended). Add cold Anchor’s Mango Wheat and blend until the mixture is moist and emulsified. Feel free to add a bit more liquid if the dough is too dry. Once the dough is evenly mixed, roll into a ball and wrap in parchment paper or plastic wrap. Refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and cover with a thin layer of butter. Lightly flour surface and roll out a 12-inch round with dough.
- Separate the fruit mixture from the liquid and add the strawberries. Stir until blended. Spoon the fruit mixture on to the dough round, starting from the center and moving out, leaving a 2-inch outside border. Fold edges towards the center of the round.
- Beat egg in small bowl and brush a thin layer of egg wash on the folded dough crust. Sprinkle granulated sugar on the crust as well. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!