There are few things more “summer” than Stern Grove Festival, but beer and picnics on Independence Day weekend come pretty close! In celebration of the Fourth of July, we’re teaming up with our sponsor Anchor Brewing Company for the first Grove Gourmet Picnic Contest of the season.
Bring your favorite patriotic or beer-themed picnic to the San Francisco Symphony’s performance at the Grove on Sunday, July 5. First place takes home two tickets to a San Francisco Symphony performance and a VIP brewery tour and tasting for 10 adults at Anchor Brewery. Second place wins an Anchor merchandise gift basket.
Come prepared with enough to share with our judges! Anchor brewers in white coveralls will be in the Grove to judge picnic spreads between noon and 1:30 p.m. Be sure to let us know you’re entering into the contest by sharing an Instagram or tweeting a picture of your picnic and tagging #sterngrovefest and #RaiseYourAnchor.
Not sure what to bring? Here are some of delicious recipes for Anchor Brewing beer-centric bites, courtesy of Chef Kenneth Hernandez, Culinary Engineer and Founder of Collective Green SF.
If you’re of age, you can find the following tasty brews and others with Anchor Brewing’s Beer Finder.
Anchor IPA Beer Bread – Serves 12
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1/4 brown sugar or coconut sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon sea salt or salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon fresh dill
1 12 oz. cans/bottles Anchor IPA™
1 tablespoon lemon juice, apple cider vinegar or lime juice
1/4 Ghee, Butter or Vegan Butter
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees, grease baking pan (9” x 4.5” pan or similar)with preferred fat (ghee, butter or vegan butter).
- In a bowl or standard mixer add self-rising flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, garlic powder, dill. Mix until evenly combined.
- Add beer and lemon/lime juice or apple cider vinegar and mix until moist.
- Transfer dough to baking pan. Top with preferred fat (ghee, butter or vegan butter).
- Bake 40 minutes to 1 hour until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
- Top with fresh dill, herbs and sea salt.
Liberty Ale Peanut Butter Brownies – Makes 3 dozen cookies (medium-sized)
1/3 cup Peanut Butter
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet or dark chocolate roughly chopped
1/2 Cocoa Powder
2 cups flour
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or fresh vanilla bean
1 1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup Liberty Ale®
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a bowl mix cream, peanut butter, butter, Liberty Ale® and a dash of salt
- Beat eggs and vanilla extract (or vanilla bean) until combined
- Add flour, cocoa powder and a dash of salt
- In a greased baking pan pour brownie butter and bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick test comes out clean.
All photos credited to Joseph Phillips Photography.