What do music and food have in common? There are plenty of answers to that question, but we think they go great together at Stern Grove Festival, where we encourage all to pack a picnic and indulge in an outdoor feast. We welcome all curious and epicurious Festival attendees to participate in our Grove Gourmet Picnic Contest, sponsored and judged by our friends at Anchor Brewing Company.
Bring your favorite beer-themed picnic (extra points for incorporating Anchor brews) to the San Francisco Symphony’s performance at the Grove on Sunday, July 10. First place takes home a VIP brewery tour and tasting for 10 adults at Anchor Brewing Company. Second place wins an Anchor merchandise swag bag. Be sure to make plenty to share with our judges. Anchor brewers in white coveralls will be in the Grove to judge picnic spreads between 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. Let us know you’re entering into the contest by sharing an Instagram or tweeting a picture of your picnic and tagging #sterngrovefest and #RaiseYourAnchor.
Not sure what to bring? Here are some of delicious recipes for Anchor Brewing beer-centric bites, courtesy of Chef Kenneth Hernandez, Culinary Engineer and Founder of Collective Green SF.
If you’re of age, you can find the following tasty brews and others with Anchor Brewing’s Beer Finder.
Grilled Go West! IPA Jalapeno Blackberry Wings
Yield: 6 Servings
4 pounds chicken wings
2 12 oz. bottles Go West! IPA
1 cup blackberries
½ cup fresh sage, finely chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons kosher salt
Dash of crushed red pepper flakes
Celery and carrots for garnish
- In a large bowl, whisk together the jalapeno-blackberry mixture, Go West! IPA, herbs, spices, and salt until emulsified.
- Add wings, stir, and cover with plastic wrap. Marinate for 6 to 8 hours.
- Drain marinade from wings but set liquid aside and save. Pat wings dry with a paper towel.
- Cooking options:
–Grilling: Set your grill to 375 degrees. Place wings directly on the grate and cook for 30 minutes. As grill temps may vary, poke with a fork to check that they’re cooked through. Pro Tip: brush glaze on wings during the cooking process. It will add more robust flavor!
–Baking: Set your oven to 375 degrees. Place wings on a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Cook for 30 minutes. As oven temps may vary, poke with a fork to check that they’re cooked through.
- Serve with celery and carrot sticks.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato, Grilled Corn, and Feta Salad with Balsamic Meyer Lemon Lager Vinaigrette
Yield: 5 Servings
3 cups heirloom cherry tomatoes cut in half
2 cups corn kernels, sliced off cob (grilled, cooled and sliced)
2 cups baby arugula
2 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
Dash of olive oil
¾ cup feta
⅓ cup olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 cup balsamic vinegar
½ cup (4 oz.) Anchor’s Meyer Lemon Lager
Dash of salt and ground black pepper
- Grill the corn, cool, and slice kernels off the cob. If access to a grill is not possible, steam the corn.
- In a large bowl, combine heirloom tomatoes, corn, baby arugula, basil, and garlic. Drizzle with olive oil. Toss and set aside
- In a saucepan, emulsify the vinaigrette olive oil, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, Anchor’s Meyer Lemon Lager, salt, and pepper.Bring to a boil, then simmer until the liquid has reduced in half. Set aside and cool
- Drizzle vinaigrette on salad, toss, and sprinkle feta on top.
Anchor Liberty Ale Cold Wild Rice
Yield: 6 Servings
1 cup wild rice
3 tablespoons olive oil
2.5 cups water
1 cup (8 oz.) Anchor Liberty Ale
¼ cup red onions, small dice
½ cup walnuts, chopped
¼ cup green onion, chopped
¼ cup carrots, small dice
¼ cup celery, small dice
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup orange juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
1 teaspoon honey
- In a medium pot, combine olive oil, red onion, wild rice and Anchor Liberty Ale. Cook at a low boil until half of the beer has evaporated. Add water. Bring back to a boil and then lower to a simmer and cover. Cook until no liquid remains.
- Prepare dressing by combining all dressing ingredients and emulsify together.
- Stir in walnuts, green onion, carrots, and celery into wild rice mixture. Drizzle with dressing, stir, and garnish with parsley.